Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 21st, 2013
Well yesterday was full of marvelous pregnancy symptoms. Mild nausea by the laundry detergents, an undeniable craving for Cheetohs, which is really super gross. Also Sushi. Sushi and Cheetohs.

See also: Insatiable horniness, random mood swings. And, my god, the exhaustion.

Right now I'm watching the Queen Latifah Show and eating oatmeal (because, apparently, Cheetohs aren't acceptable breakfast foods when you're pregnant [or ever]).

Today is a good day though. It marks week 6 of my pregnancy (for real this time). That means my baby is the size of a pea. And my child's heart is beating about as much as mine is.

Here, behold the midget wonder!



I won't be taking a picture of me yet, because I look exactly the same. Well, mostly. More acne (a common symptom of pregnancy) and also like really bloated. Apparently your liquid content doubles. I'm supposed to gain FOUR pounds of blood. Four pounds. Of blood. This means I won't be able to suck in my gut. Bah.

I'll do me-pictures monthly instead of weekly, like my far cuter (kinda) cherub.

Another marker of the sixth week is that this is when nausea usually kicks in the door of your stomach and decides to stay until your scond trimester (week 14). You don't have to have morning sickness, but 75% of women do.

So the odds look superb.

Something important happened a couple days ago. I talked to Eddie's mom. I feel pretty good about it. She is really, really kind and is planning on inviting me over for dinner sometime next month. Next time Eddie visits.

I'm nervous because:

A) It feels kind of like an interview. I'm trying out for the role of Mother of Your Grandchild. Obviously she doesn't have much of a choice and the most important person in my child's life is going to be me, not her or Eddie. But it still is nervewracking. (None of this is based in fact or anything Eddie's mom, Karen, said to me. Just wacky feelings.)

B) Seeing Eddie again might be weird. I'm a little afraid that he will be bitter towards me. Just not sure how it'll go and not knowing things drives me crazy.

I plan on announcing my pregnancy to Facebook on the 7th after my appointment. I also am going to a Care Net banquet that night. (Care Net being a really awesome non-profit for women who find themselves pregnant and in crisis. Care Net upholds the idea that even unborn life is beautiful and should be protected.)

It seems appropriate that that is the day I share it with the world and embrace the oncoming storm of "Did you hear about Bri?" And I want to give Eddie time to break the news to people he knows the way he wants to, other than he said she said crap, which we all know will happen.


I'm really glad to have continuing conversation with the father of my child. Gives me hope that we might be able to manage this FWB situation (Friends With Baby).

2 comments: